African American Women's Seminar: Reducing Your Risk for Disease


Summary:

African American women have the highest rates of obesity and overweight individuals in the United States, putting them at higher risk for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. The decision to focus on individuals in that particular age range was due to the high volume of diabetes cases in African American women around the age of 45. This presentation is meant to educate and motivate this population struggling with overweight or obese, and increase their understanding of the dynamics that go into nutritional health. 

Reflection:

Choosing a topic for this project was pretty straightforward. I knew I wanted to focus on a target population that was severely struggling with chronic diseases and that was more closely related to the personal struggles I have witnessed. Obesity has plagued many of my own peers and it is hard to watch family members deteriorate due to diseases related to obesity. This condition is even more prominent in communities where many women lack knowledge on what foods to eat, how to healthfully prepare food and methods and outlets for physical activity. Therefore I decided to focus on methods of decreasing obesity by educating this population on diet, physical activity, and group/community evolvement.

I had a few difficulties in developing the presentation for my seminar. I was initially confused about what information was supposed to go into the presentation slide deck because I was basing my information on the bulleted points from the assignment outline. I was also finding it difficult to describe the information in a format directed towards the target audience and not towards other nutrition educators. Finding research articles on nutrition information on my target population proved to be challenging due to how specific I needed the information to be. Currently, I feel satisfied with my presentation, but I do have a few changes that need to be made. I am very comfortable using the Screen-o-Matic software after being required to use it for other courses. For my presentation, I will be using the voice recording option in order to keep the presentation professional and free from distractions. My only worries concerning the recording would have to do with the timing of my presentation. The thirty-minute time limit puts great pressure on doing everything perfectly and with minimal interruptions.

In order to locate collaborators, I started by looking for community organizations that were geared towards fitness, health, disease prevention, and nutrition. I used several non-profit finder sites to research different organizations and their mission statements. The challenge this posed was that many women’s organizations do not focus on the nutrition and health of the women. Because many women in my target community are struggling single mothers, many of the community outreach programs focus on feeding the hungry and providing adequate pre- and post-natal care. I decided to find programs related to government-funded agencies within the county. I have found three organizations that focused on community nutrition through improving fruit and vegetable consumption, physical activity, and education in all members of the community. Unfortunately, I have not contacted any of the companies but based on their website statements they are open to any help or suggestions.

The process of creating an educational nutrition seminar was slightly overwhelming. Personally, I have little experience creating pieces of this magnitude. I think the hardest aspect of the project was projecting in-depth nutritional information towards the target population. I was comfortable with explaining in-depth information to nutrition educators, but without the purposes of creating an environment that promotes change directly to the nutrition educators. This assignment is a great opportunity for me to get some experience in educating a population through simulating a seminar. In reference to my professional career, this process has helped me prepare for when I will be required to host or at the least assist in some form of nutrition presentation to audiences with varying issues related to health and wellness.

Comments

Popular Posts